Peethambaran retracts statement in court, says he didn’t kill – UKMALAYALEE

Peethambaran retracts statement in court, says he didn’t kill

Tuesday 26 February 2019 2:10 AM UTC

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM Feb 26: Peethambaran, the main accused in a case of murder of two Youth Congress workers at Periya in Kasaragod, has said in Judicial First Class Magistrate Court, Kanhangad that he was not involved in the murder.

He also told the court that he was threatened by police officers when he was in custody at the Bekal police station and was forced to give the statement that he had committed the crime.

Peethambaran had earlier given the statement he had committed the crime under the influence of narcotic drugs but his wife later said that he was not in the habit of using drugs.

Neither confirming nor denying the reported statement of Peethambaran before the magistrate, Kasaragod District Police Chief James Joseph said the police recovered the murder weapons as per his custodial disclosure.

The same accused had shown to the police the spots where the weapons had been abandoned, he said, adding that one of the other accused had also confirmed the involvement of Peethambaran in the murders.

The investigators had secured circumstantial evidence to prove Peethambaran’s involvement in the crime, he said.

Peethambaran had earlier confessed in police custody that he was involved in the murders. The police produced Peethambaran and Saji George, another accused in the case, before the magistrate as their police custody ended on Monday.

The police said the Crime Branch, which was handed over investigation in the case on Monday, would seek the custody of the accused in a couple of days.

Later Peethambaran and Saji was remanded to 14 days to judicial custody and sent to Kanjangadu subjail.

Meanwhile, the Crime Branch has taken over the case.

CLICK TO FOLLOW UKMALAYALEE.COM