London Gatwick Airport Reopens Despite New Drone Sighting – UKMALAYALEE

London Gatwick Airport Reopens Despite New Drone Sighting

Saturday 22 December 2018 2:19 AM UTC

GATWICK AIRPORT Dec 22: Flights resumed again on Friday at London Gatwick Airport after a new drone sighting, in a third day of Christmas getaway misery that has left tens of thousands of passengers stranded.

Flights were briefly halted on Friday evening following what a Gatwick spokeswoman said was a “confirmed sighting of a drone” — but resumed quickly afterwards.

“While we investigated, airfield movements were suspended. This was a precautionary measure as safety remains our main priority,” the airport said in a statement.

“The military measures we have in place at the airport have provided us with the reassurance necessary that it is safe to reopen our airfield.”

Drones were first sighted hovering around Britain’s second-busiest air hub on Wednesday, grinding the runway to a standstill and causing chaos for more than 120,000 people.

The police are still hunting for the mystery drone operator or operators.

At the start of the day, a Gatwick spokesman said that 91 of Friday’s 412 scheduled arrivals had been cancelled, while 64 of 371 scheduled departures had also been scrapped.

Passengers, many trying to get home for Christmas or to start their holidays, were advised to check the status of their flights before travelling to the airport.

The army was called in on Thursday to offer support, with the defence ministry deploying what was described only as specialist equipment.

“There are a range of measures which are there today which should give passengers confidence that they are safe to fly,” Transport Secretary Chris Grayling told the BBC on Friday.

Government officials held an emergency meeting to discuss the situation.

CLICK TO FOLLOW UKMALAYALEE.COM