20-Sep-2017
ukmalayaleeBack to UK News

Air freshener causes car to explode in Essex carpark

LONDON Sept 7: An air freshener caused a car to explode in a carpark in Essex, firefighters have confirmed.
 
Dramatic pictures show the doors, windscreen and roof were completely blown out following a "very loud bang" inside the Ford Focus outside a B&Q.
 
A man  who was freed from the silver hatchback was taken to hospital with only minor injuries. Emergency services were called to the scene shortly before midday at the DIY supplies store in Southend, Essex.
 
"I don't think this has ever happened before - it's not something we've even seen before," said an Essex Fire Service spokesman.
 
The spokesman said the accidental explosion set fire to the 51-reg car but "when firefighters arrived they found the car was not on fire, but the car had suffered significant damage."
 
Temporary Assistant Divisional Officer Justin Benson-Ryal said: "Incidents like this are extremely rare, but it is important for everyone to be aware how flammable aerosol cans, such as air fresheners and deodorants, can be.
 
The explosion happened after a build-up of gases from an air freshener was accidentally ignited by a cigarette.
 
"We strongly advise that you not to use an aerosol in a confined space and also you should not smoking during or shortly after use."
 
He said "quantities of aerosols" should not be stored in confined spaces nor exposed to sunlight and high temperatures.
 
Shocked witness Albert Quixall said on Twitter: "Just missed witnessing car explosion near Southend. "Very loud bang. Ford Focus doors, windscreen, roof blown out. B&Q staff rushing to help." - The Telegraph