ukmalayaleeBack to Latest News

Second Malayalee dead in Northampton accident

NOTTINGHAM Aug 27: A minibus, driven by a Malayalee from Nottingham, got involved in an accident on the southbound M1 at Newport Pagnell in Buckinghamshire just before 03:15 BST yesterday (Saturday). Reports said that six men and two women have died in the crash involving the minibus and two lorries on the M1 near Milton Keynes. 
All of those who died were travelling in the minibus, which was from the Nottingham area. The driver of the minibus is Cyriac Joseph (Benny) from Cherpunkkal in Kottayam district of Kerala. He is survived by his wife Ancy and two children.
The second Malayalee who died in the accident is reported as Rishi Rajeev, who works as an engineer with Wipro.
The others who were involved in the accident were all from Tamil Nadu and employees of Wipro who were beginning their European holidays.
The taxi driver who was killed alongside seven others in the deadliest motorway crash in 24 years was taking a visiting Indian family to start their dream European holiday after a 'drunk lorry smashed into their minibus'.   
The group of eleven were on their way to the Eurostar when their minibus was 'squashed flat' in a crash with two delivery trucks on the M1 at Newport Pagnell, Buckinghamshire.
Six men and two women died at the scene including the driver while three others - including a five-year-old girl who was pulled from the wreckage - are fighting for their lives in hospital.  
Lorry driver Ryszard Masierak, 31, from Worcestershire, has been charged with eight counts of causing death by dangerous driving, four counts of causing serious injury by dangerous driving and eight counts of causing death by careless driving while over the drink-drive limit, Thames Valley Police said. 
Last night the minicab driver was named as Cyriac Joseph, whose minibus contained a family of five, along with several other people believed to be working for Capita, who were on their way to the Eurostar.
Close friend of Cyriac, Manu Zachariah said: 'He was taking people working at Capita from Nottingham to the EuroStar for their holidays in Europe. There was a family of five in the group as well as a child.
'I think there were 12 people in the van in total. Benny died instantly.