20-Sep-2017

Cleaning the house with bleach could lead to fatal lung disease

LONDON Sept 13: Using bleach and other common disinfectants to clean the house puts people at risk of fatal lung conditions, research has suggested.
 
A 30-year study of more than 55,000 women found those who used the products just once a week had a 32 per cent increased chance of developing chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
 
The debilitating and often agonising illness, which can include bronchitis and emphysema, was linked to long-term use of quaternary ammonium compounds, known as “quats”, which are found in everyday floor and surface disinfectants.
 
Products containing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide and bleach were also associated with the disease, which is most commonly diagnosed in heavy smokers and those who have suffered long-term exposure to dust and pollution.